HRSA, Office of Health Information Technology announced on February 06, 2008, that FY 2008 Health Center Controlled Networks funds are available. This funding will help the networks of health centers do planning activities to lead to HIT adoption. The estimated funding is expected to be $600,000 for 4 awards. The average size of each award is not to exceed more than $125,000. The grant application deadline is April 15, 2008. Public and non-profit organizations including faith-based and community-based organizations are eligible to apply.
Planning activities for EHR adoption can include:
· Conducting HIT readiness assessments
· Doing workflow analyses
· Using due diligence to select a vendor
· Doing business planning and market place assessments
· Determining specific network HIT functions
· Doing system upgrades to be able to join a network or to launch a HIT initiative
· Developing telehealth services
· Doing the initial stage of collaboration with partners
Some possible HRSA funding can include:
- If a network of health centers are ready to purchase an EHR system, but needs funds to help do an EHR readiness assessment and help with the procurement process, then funds may be available
- If funding is needed o upgrade systems to be able to join an existing network
- If an existing network of health centers wants to from a HIE with other state partners and needs funding to do a market assessment, establish a MOA with potential partners, or engage in marketplace and business planning, then funds might be available
- If an established network of health centers wants to develop clinical telehealth services to expand access to, coordinate, and improve the quality of healthcare services in the network
A pre application conference call will be held on March 12, 2008 at 2 pm. The call in number is 800-857-6258, and the pass code is 2058611. The replay number is 800-327-0221. For more information, go to www.grants.gov or contact Judy Oliver 301-594-4465, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.