The “Federal Health IT Strategic Plan: 2011-2015” released on March 25th is available for public comment until April 22, 2011. The plan last published in 2008, has been updated to take into account the rapidly changing landscape of health IT and health IT policy. The HIT landscape has been altered over the past two years by both the HITECH Act passed as part of ARRA and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act since both pieces of legislation committed significant resources to health IT.
Over the past year, ONC has collaborated with its federal partners, the private sector through the health IT Policy Committee, and the public to update the plan. Basically, the plan has five goals to include:
• Goal I: Achieve adoption and information exchange through meaningful use of health IT
• Goal II: Improve Care, improve population health, and reduce health care costs through the use of health IT
• Goal III: Inspire confidence and trust in health IT
• Goal IV: Empower individuals with health IT to improve their health and the healthcare system
• Goal V: Achieve rapid learning and technological advancement
To download the Federal HIT Strategic Plan 2011-2015, go to http://healthit.hhs.gov.